The band originally formed in 1937 but disbanded at the outbreak of war a few years later. The band did not re-form until 1966, largely due to the efforts of Canon James Farrell and Arthur Aspland. Then known as the St.Patrick’s Concert Band, it provided a musical outlet for the local community and the band performed in public playing at local events. Following the death of Canon Farrell in 1989 the band was renamed in his honour. The James Farrell Concert Band is now well known in throughout West Yorkshire and beyond as a result of numerous successful public performances.
What Have We Won?
In the early 1990s the band won the J.B.Priestley Trophy at Rothwell Music Festival for two successive years.
In 1994 we gained a Silver Award in the National Concert Band Festival at Richmond (North Yorkshire), and a Gold Award in 1995.
Once again at the Rothwell Music Festival we won second prize in 1999.
Where Have We Performed?
During the summer we have regularly performed at a number of outdoor venues-
Roundhay Park [Leeds], Queens Park [Castleford], Thornes Park [Wakefield], Horsforth Hall Park [Leeds], Parliament Street [York], and at Kirkstall Festival. In previous years we have played at Goole, Bramley and Carlton Towers. We have also done some indoor performances, including a joint concert at the Riley Smith Hall in Tadcaster with the local choral society. We hope to continue performing at such venues in the future and are looking to do more indoor concerts.
The band has also performed for charitable organisations at Martin House Hospice, St.Gemma’s Hospice, and Rothwell Day Services.